Monday, September 14, 2009

Drying Chives...Easy, easy, easy





I grow chives in my herb garden, they are really easy to grow and are beautiful too! To dry them harvest early in the morning, remove any brown leaves and chop into small pieces. I hold them all together in one clump (you could even put a rubber band around the end to hold them together) and chop. I let them dry on the kitchen counter for 3-5 days then store in an airtight container. I told you it was easy! Chives are great in scrambled eggs and all kinds of dishes, they have a mild oniony flavor.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Karen! What a great idea! I have a ton of chives right now - I'm off to the garden. I just canned some zuchinni salsa - so good! The recipe came from Carolyn Herriot of The Garden Path. It originates from 1902 - let me know if you would like me to pass it on to you. Ina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ina, what exactly is zucchini salsa? Is it hot? What do you use it for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen - Zucchini salsa is just like salsa but includes shredded zucchini. You can make it mild like I did, or make it hot to your taste. So far we have been eating it with taco chips, natchos, burritos, eggs, whatever. Soooo good! Gets better by the day! The recipe says it makes 11 pints, I got eight, and am now down to 3! Think I will be making some more, Ina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good, please pass on the recipe and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete