Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fresh Fruit and Yogurt Sundae

Before I give you this recipe I have to say that finding out if/what fresh fruit is legal on the SCD is confusing. Some sources say none at all while I have cookbooks with Specific Carbohydrate Diet in the title that have lots of fresh fruit recipes in them. The bottom line is use your head and listen to your gut. Do not eat fresh fruit (only cooked) the first few months of the diet and if it makes you upset don't eat it for at least a few more weeks, then try it again. I found after only a few weeks I can eat bananas and berries, I will try grapes and melons next.

Fresh Fruit and Yogurt Sundae

1-2 c. fresh fruit
1/4 c. SCD yogurt
2 T. honey
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
chopped nuts or granola

Combine the yogurt, honey and cinnamon and mix well. Arrange the fruit in a serving dish, top with yogurt mixture and nuts or granola. Serve.

3 comments:

  1. Hi from the westcoast! Its good to hear you are having success with the new diet! Can you still eat gf breads? Or are grains off limits?
    I have a question about making yogurt. I just bought a waringpro yougurt maker, and all the recipes include dry non fat milk as well as regular milk. Do you know if it is absolutely necessary to use dried milk? I haven't made any yet, but thought I would use whole organic milk with organic yogurt starter. Not quite sure how to approach this, if you could offer any ideas, that would be much appreciated. Really enjoy your blog - thanks so much! Ina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I don't use any dried milk in my yogurt. I heat 4 c. 2% milk to 180 degrees, let it cool to lukewarm and mix 1 c. of the milk with 1 packet of yogourmet starter. Then add all the milk to a yogurt maker and let it "cook" for 24 hours. I just took some out of the cooker and will do a detailed post on it in the next few days.

    Good luck,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I didn't answer all of your questions. I do eat bread, made with almond flour (see Elanas Pantry website for a good recipe) and I don't eat any grains, this means rice, corn, tapioca and no potatoes. It sounds a bit extreme but I still make baked goods etc. using almond flour. Thanks for making a comment.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete