Tuesday, June 30, 2009

And the winner is.............

This is getting a bit personal but I want to let people just starting the SCD to know my experience. In 2004 on one of my many trips to the Doctor complaining that I just didn't feel well overall I had extensive blood work done. At the time I was eating a very normal diet. Not yet eating GF or CF. I tried to eat lots of fiber and fruits and vegetables and to limit sugars and fats and I have always been active. My cholesterol was 209 (normal range is below 200) and triglicerides were 172 (normal is below 150). My doctor was mildly concerned and told me to watch the amount of fat I was eating and come back for another test in a few weeks. I never did.

In the last 3 months I have increased my fat and calorie intake. I have actually been losing weight (about a pound a week) and the thoughts of those high numbers started haunting me. I wanted to find out what was happening inside. I went in for a health check up (no complaints this time) and had all the blood work done again. Cholesterol 192, Triglycerides 100, HDL 60, LDL 112. The nurse told me my numbers were "perfect". I share this as an example that eating the right foods is more important than the fat grams or calories, at least in my case this is the winning diet. The biggest indicator of health is how you feel. I know that I feel great, it is good to see the numbers on paper to back up how I feel. Here's to good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment