Monday, June 29, 2009

Beer Can Chicken Without the Beer

I found this gadget for $5 while I was browsing in Walmart the other day and had to give it a try SCD style. It holds a can of beer, you place a chicken upright over the beer can and grill it or bake it in the oven. The idea is that the steam from the beer flavors the chicken and keeps it moist. I wanted to cook it outside on a grill but mine wasn't tall enough to fit the chicken under the lid so I baked it in the oven.

Directions:
Empty a can of something and poke holes in the top half of the can all the way around (or you can just cut off the top of the can, but be careful this leaves a very sharp edge). Add 1/2 c. chicken broth, the juice of two lemons, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. each thyme and rosemary, and 3 T. honey back into the can. Place the can in the holder and put the whole thing in a large baking pan. Invert a cleaned chicken over the can. I drizzled more honey over the chicken and seasoned it with salt and pepper, and more thyme and rosemary. I also left the lemon pieces in the pan. Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 2 hours, the time really varies depending on the size of the chicken. It is best to check with a meat thermometer in the the thickest part of the thigh. You want it to be at least 185 degrees to ensure the chicken is thoroughly cooked. If you cook it outside on your grill you want a to try to maintain a temperature of 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

This was the most tender chicken I have ever had. The flavors were very subtle so if you want more of a stand out flavor I would add a lot more seasonings. It was so tender it fell apart when I tried to get it off the can. I will definitely try this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment