Thursday, December 10, 2009

How to Make Your Own Pumpkin Puree


I am so happy to be posting again, I haven't gone this long without a post since I started this blog. My camera was accidentally left in the middle of the desert over Thanksgiving. I have a new one on order and I can't wait to share some fun Holiday recipes with you. In the mean time I found this picture in my files of pumpkin puree. I made my own last year and found that my recipes didn't turn out the same as when I use canned. A fellow member of an e-mail list suggested I strain the puree through cheesecloth to get the same consistency as the canned, and it works! I picked the pumpkins and brought them into my garage in September. They store well even for a few months so I can cook them up when I have time.

Pumpkin Puree

1 pie pumpkin
1 c. water

1. Remove the stem and cut in half. Clean thoroughly (like pumpkin seeds? try this recipe).
2. Place pumpkin halves flat side down on a large baking sheet. Add water to the pan and bake at 350 degrees for 60-75 minutes.
3. The outside of the pumpkin should be browned. Remove from oven and cool.
4. Scoop out the flesh and process in a food processor until smooth.
5. Using a cheesecloth lined strainer strain the puree for about 4 hours. I like to cover mine and place it in the refrigerator while straining.
6. The puree is ready to use, it freezes well too.

1 comment:

  1. We're in the same boat. I have angered the camera gods as well. I dropped and broke mine on vacation and my hectic schedule has left no time to get it fixed. I did find my older camera, which was headed for a garage sale box. We decided it's best to keep it for such occasions.
    As for the puree, it's never dawned on me to use a cheesecloth to strain. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete