Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Chicks Arrive



Last Fall I got 4 chickens as an experiment to see if I would like having them enough to invest in a full scale operation. Two of the four turned out to be roosters, so they got returned. I then traded the remaining two, who were not yet laying for two that were and......I fell in love. Some women need to feed their nurturing side by carrying around a tiny dog in their purse...I got 12 baby chicks. I have ordered a coop which should be coming in the next few weeks that will hold up to 15 chickens. Oh the joy! I know, I am weird, but happy. I have 4 different breeds and will get blue, green, brown and white eggs. They won't be laying until late Summer or Fall, I will let you know when the first eggs arrive.

8 comments:

  1. I have fowl envy! I cannot get chickens after all - zoning regulations. I raised chickens as a little girl and just loved collecting all of those eggs! Your dishes are going to be amazing with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having chickens. There is something about them that makes me happy. I love feeding them in the morning and gathering eggs. Even having 400, there are a couple whose personalities stand out. They kind of remind me of my mom and her sisters, all talking at the same time and busy, busy, busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, I'm with you...give me chicks anyday! How wonderful to get eggs...they will be sooo good! Ohhh how I dream of having chickens one day too! Ina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was curious, could someone own, say three or four in thier backyard and still be able to let small children play. I guess what I'm saying, would the chicken poop from three or four be enough to worry about? I have a good egg source, but it's still tempting and may be a good thing for the garden and for Gordon to learn from. I just worry about kids stepping in poop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing in my excitement. Mrs. Ed, I would definitely try it, maybe start with two. I guess it would depend on how big your yard was to really know about the stepping issues but you could always fence off an area for the chickens and not have to worry about where you step. I would say go for it and give it a try, you can always find someone who will take them if it doesn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Thank you for sharing! I'm so exited to see that someone else is as crazy as I am about chickens! Good luck with the new little ones~
    I had 7 - 4 weeks old Americana's when the neighbor's dog got into what I thought was a secure pen on Sunday. I was heartbroken when I lost 5 of them that day. I have 2 left, but plan to replace the ones I lost in a few weeks.
    Enjoy your babies~ They're so sweet! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki, sorry about your chicks, that would be devastating. It reminds me to double check my security as my neighbor has 5 dogs and I have two. I will enjoy, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting! I've thought of having chickens, but I live deep in the heart of the city :). Someday...

    ReplyDelete