Saturday, June 12, 2010

SCD Chicken Casserole



This is a simpler version of my No Grain Layered Chicken Casserole. It is warm and satisfying and goes great with a green salad.

SCD Chicken Casserole
Ingredients:

1 c. diced chicken
1 zucchini, shredded
2 T. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped tomato
1/4 c. SCD yogurt made from 1/2 and 1/2
1/4 c. strong chicken broth
1 c. shredded cheese, divided (I found some raw jalepeno cheddar that worked great for this recipe but any variety will work)

Method:

1. Place shredded zucchini in a flour sack type dish towel. Over the sink twist up the ends and squeeze to remove all liquid.
2. Combine 1/2 c. cheese, chicken broth, yogurt and onion in a small (3 cup) casserole.
3. Add chicken, zucchini and tomato, stirring until combined.
4. Smooth mixture out evenly and top with remaining 1/2 c. cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
6. Serve immediately garnish with more yogurt and your favorite salsa. I like the flavor this Tomatillo Salsa adds.

4 comments:

  1. I love the taste of tomatillo salsa with chicken. I love casseroles and "mexican chicken casserole" is something I miss. Although it would be more discriptive to call it "a can of this and a can of that casserole". This looks like a great replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, a request, feel free to say no, it may not work for you or be a pain. A "casserole" label would be nice in your index.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure thing Mrs. Ed, anything for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really liked this! I changed it slightly based on what I had on hand---farmer's cheese instead of yogurt. And I added some seasoning (salt/pepper/seasoned salt/poultry seasoning) since my broth wasn't very flavorful. My whole family enjoyed the result. Yum! I never would have thought of something like this. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete