Friday, July 30, 2010

Update and a recipe for Dutch Oven Lemon Chicken and Rice

I have not been keeping up with the blog this summer, it has been interesting to see that I still get several hits a day though. That is good, it is the purpose of this blog to be a resource. I have been busy enjoying the "Live" part of my mantra. Gardening, taking care of my animals (the chickens are laying 6-7 eggs a day!) and taking care of my family. I have slowly introduced aged cheeses, whole corn, and rice back into my diet with some success. I can see that I need to keep it to a few servings a week but it makes going out to eat so much easier. Here are a few pics from summer so far...


Drying chives from the garden

Un re-touched sunset from my porch...I think my favorite picture of the summer.

The first egg, it is smaller than normal, they are growing larger each day!

Welcoming my oldest son home from the National Scouting Jamboree....3 weeks without motherly supervision, I wasn't sure he could do it, he proved me wrong!



And now for the recipe...


We have taken a break from the dutch oven for a few years. I miss those warm easy meals after a long day of fishing and hiking. I saw this recipe on Gluten Free Mommy and overhauled it, we gave it a trial run at home to see how it would work out on a camping trip. My family gave it the thumbs up!

I baked this in the oven and used a whole chicken but if I were to do it camping I would definitely use the tenders, much easier to transport and eat.

For a grain free dish you could pre-cook the chicken tenders and use shredded zucchini or cauliflower or a mix of both. I would squeeze out the excess water before using, see this post , and bake for 40 minutes.

Lemon Chicken and Rice Dutch Oven Style

1 1/2 c. jasmine rice
2 T. olive oil
2/3 c. minced onion
1 tsp. Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1 tsp. dried ground peppers or cayenne pepper (decrease to 1/2 tsp. for a very mild flavor)
1 Anaheim pepper sliced in rings, optional or you could use bell pepper
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. paprika
2 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 c. peas
1/2 c. shredded carrot
juice of 1/2 lemon
parsley
12 chicken tenders

Method:

1. Combine all ingredients except chicken and parsley in a 12 inch dutch oven.
2. Place chicken tenders on top of rice and sprinkle with dried parsley.
3. Bake at 325 degrees in an oven or with 10 coals on the bottom and 12 on the top for 90 minutes.
4. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy looking dish, and great pictures too! Glad you are enjoying your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back to internet access and can't wait to catch up! Your blog is great as usual.

    ReplyDelete