Thursday, October 21, 2010
Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie
I have been experimenting a bit, getting ready for the holidays. I tried this pumpkin pie recipe with a coconut crust. I did not care for the crust and honestly the shredded coconut with the pumpkin was weird. I absolutely loved the pumpkin filling though. It takes a bit of time to measure out all the spices but it is so worth it!
I will keep trying for a coconut flour crust that I like, if you have one please pass it along! Like Kat suggested in her comment, you could make it without crust (just be sure to oil the pan first) or try this crust from Comfy Belly, it is my all time favorite.
Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie, Revised from this recipe out of the Reader's Digest
1 15 oz can Pumpkin (canned pumpkin is not SCD legal, here is a recipe for pumpkin puree)
1 tsp. coconut flour
1/3 c. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. mace
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. coconut milk
1 pie shell
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using an electric mixer, mix together flour, pumpkin, honey, salt, vanilla, and spices in a medium sized bowl.
3. Add eggs and milk, mix till thoroughly combined. Pour into prepared pie shell.
4. Bake for 50 minutes, till crust is golden and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Serve with SCD Whipped Cream and have a happy holiday!