Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dairy Free Hot Chocolate



I have missed having a warm cup of cocoa early in the morning to warm up and jump start the day. It was 2 degrees when I first left the house this morning to take kids to the bus stop...never have I needed a jump start like I did today!


Dairy Free Hot Chocolate
Ingredients:
1 c. water
1/4 c. full fat coconut milk
1 T. good quality cocoa powder
2-4 T. honey
vanilla or mint extract, optional

Method:
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat through. Alternately you can combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid, shake well then pour into a mug then heat in the microwave.



6 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I bet my son would like this. After over three years on the SCD, my six year old can now have little amounts of non-scd foods. We are in the "baby-step" stage. We are still trying to keep almost everything SCD. The only things he really seems to want is french fries and chocolate. His IgG food allergy panel, that was off the charts in 2008 is almost nil. However, in 2008 coconut was severe so we still avoid it. I wonder if almond milk would work here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure it would Mrs. Ed, great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks great! do you use canned coconut milk or the coconut milk beverage?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate,
    I used the canned milk. I am not familiar with coconut milk beverage but I am guessing it is not as thick as the milk from the can. I am sure you could adjust the water if that is the case.

    Good Luck,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award, my dear!!!! :) I have been a HUGE fan of your blog for many, many months now & feel you deserve this honor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this recipe when you first posted it, but knew I wasn't able to add cocoa back in yet. Now I can safely add small amounts....so I came back and hunted for the recipe and it is delicious! Thank you for posting...made my (chilly) morning so nice :)

    ReplyDelete