Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater!

This picture is from around 1972, that's me on the left in orange and brown. You gotta love those 70's clothes.

I spent the evening with my parents last night. We had a great time shopping, eating, watching movies, and going over some antiques from my grandmother's house. Their hotel is the best ever.

The cheating problem came in when I was relaxed, enjoying family, we were at one of my favorite mexican restaurants, I was very hungry and the waiter came with warmed made from scratch salsa and a big bowl of chips. Dang, how do I get myself into these situations? I want some salsa, bad....could I just eat a spoonful? O.K. I rationalize, I have been feeling good, I should be able to eat a few chips... and you know the story a few, and a few more, and a few more. Then my meal comes, a shredded beef tostada with a side of guacamole. It is yummy, I eat it like a salad leaving the tortilla on the plate, but I am still hungry, everyone else is finishing up, do I have time to order another? Well, I rationalize again, I did already eat the corn chips, what will it hurt to eat the tortilla too. Still hungry. My son finishes his nachos and offers me some, more chips, loaded with cheese! Just one, I just want to taste them. 6 or 7 chips later......I am not good at this game.


We head back to my parents house and about 20 minutes later I feel it. The churning bloated feeling. I can feel my energy tanking. I get cranky and quiet, I have to remember to smile, be polite, is this worth it? I should have ........taken more time to order, called ahead and been more prepared, chosen another restaurant. The thoughts go through my mind. I should have but I didn't so I have to make the best of it and learn for next time. I start drinking water, bottles and bottles, this seems to help when I over do it. The next morning I feel it. Swelling, lethargy, the ache has moved on from my stomach. I feel like I have gained 20 lbs overnight. The worst part is my attitude. I am just generally mad. Weird that one meal can do this to me.

24 hours and it will all be over, I will be back to my normal self. Hopefully I will have learned something this time around. I have found the longer I am on the SCD the more I can cheat, meaning I can have a serving of rice now and then, or some chocolate a few times a week. Some times of the month are better than others for cheating. When I am stressed about something over a few days I have to be really strict. My daughter summed it up best, "I just have to listen to my body". When will I learn???

1 comment:

  1. Awww...sorry Karen. It's interesting, how when we change our diets for the better, our systems clean out and recharge...then if we cheat, or accidently have some cross contamination - the symptoms come on faster and harder than before. The last time I discovered I had eaten food that unfortunately came in contact with gluten - Sooo sick and within 30 min.! I heard on the radio the other day, that our bodies and cells hold memory - that is why it is so hard not to cheat! Our bodies naturally crave whatever it is we have given up. It takes time...maybe years...for our bodies change that cellular memory! So don't be too hard on yourself - its also your cellular memory kicking into gear! We just have to perservere - but the good news is - we can do it! Speedy recovery, Ina

    ReplyDelete