Saturday, April 9, 2011

Death of a Cookbook Granola


Recently I was asked about the cookbook I started last year. I have been saving a few choice recipes to put into it but have decided that this isn't the time for me to take the time to put it together. So....I will be posting the recipes I was saving over the next few weeks.

Here is my very favorite one. I like my granola nutty, cinnamony, clumpy and crunchy. There are so many variations to granola and granola bars but this is my very favorite. I keep this on hand as a staple, it is great on the go and even a meal in a pinch. It is best to soak and dry all the nuts before hand, I always do and I think it is easier to digest that way. Here are the instructions on soaking nuts and here is more information on why soaking is preferable.

Crunchy, Nutty, Cinnamony, Granola

Ingredients:

2/3 c. water
1/2 c. coconut or olive oil
1/3 - 1/2 c. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. almond flour (You can make your own by grinding almonds in a blender, this is what makes the clumps so don't leave it out if you like your granola clumpy)
1 c. sunflower seeds (soaked and dried)
1 c. coconut, unsweetened and dried
2 c. slivered or sliced almonds (soaked and dried)
2 c. walnuts (soaked and dried)
2 c. pecans (soaked and dried)
1/2 c. sesame seeds
1/4 - 1/2 c. dried cranberries
1 c. cashews (soaked and dried)
1 c. pumpkin seeds

Method:
Combine water, oil, honey, salt, and cinnamon in a saucepan over low heat. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat, stir in the vanilla. In the largest bowl you can find combine the remaining ingredients. Pour liquid over the mixed dry ingredients and mix well. You can use a dehydrator to finish the granola which is my favorite way, it really makes it crunchy. Following manufacturers directions dry 8-12 hours in dehydrator. Or spread granola onto two large cookie sheets and bake as low as your oven will go (170-250 degrees) stirring every 30 minutes for 1-2 hours.

1 comment:

  1. The book world's loss is our gain. Thanks for sharing such great recipes!

    ReplyDelete